Thursday, May 29, 2008

When you have no shame...

Nothing embarasses you!
In a turn of events that might seem
embarrassing to some, I prevailed,
against the odds!
When I popped off of the train
and into my car I came to notice that
my gas gauge was PERILOUSLY low.
Now, if you know me, I am OBSESSED
with having enough gas in my tank.
Apparently I have been this way since
I was young, being known to pester my mother
to make sure we never were stranded on the side
of the road like characters in a John Carpenter flick.
I figured I could make it home, but upon
starting my car it faltered and failed to start.
One more try and off we went, though I was not
feeling as secure in my belief that I could make it home
on fumes and a prayer. So, I stopped at the nearest
gas station (after driving like an old lady; slow=slower burning fuel)
and proceeded to hand the very disinterested looking attendant
1 Saqajawea (?) gold coin, 3 quarters, 2 nickels, 1 dime and, yes,
a partridge in a pear tree.
He ran out after me telling me that, although I pre paid,
I would have to monitor the gas myself.
I suppose they don't have auto stop for 2 bucks worth of gas.
Yes, I have sunk this low.
I suppose with things other than bank accounts
plummet during a recession.
My self respect has also recessed, to the darkest parts
of the world. I get post cards from the Congo every now and then.

So yes, that was my misadventure for the day.
Here is to remembering to have money on you
so you don't run out of gas and have to embarass yourself in front
of strangers and God...cause he's always watching.

No comments: